Summer Job

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 § 0

Lately, I’ve been looking for a summer job. I don’t have that much planned this summer, just a summer school class (computer-aided drafting) for an applied arts credit and possibly a vacation sometime later.

With all my free time, I figured I might as well make some money too, so I started looking. I applied to a couple places, but I haven’t heard back yet.

A couple days ago my friend messaged me about a job opening at the place she worked, where she packages stationary for Pen at Hand, a online stationary store, in the owner’s living room.

I was excited, because she said if she recommended me, I would get the job.

The next day, after talking to her boss, she told me that the job didn’t work out. I was a little disappointed, but okay, so I asked her why?

She said that she told the owner about me and she (the owner) said, “Oh, I don’t hire boys, I like to keep this a girl’s club, but don’t report me or anything.”

I was shocked. That’s blatantly sexist and illegal, and it appears the owner knows and doesn’t care. I don’t want to make a huge deal about this as it’s just a summer job, and I wouldn’t want to work for a person who hires like that anyway, but its still kind of pathetic that this issue still exists.

What's this?

You are currently reading Summer Job at Kyle Albert's Blog.

meta

§ Leave a Reply